Thursday, May 29, 2008

Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull


BW and I took in Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull last Friday. You may have heard of this movie. It is the fourth in the Indiana Jones series.

I am an atypical Indiana Jones fan. While I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, my favorite is Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom. It has the best mix of suspense, violence and gore, which is more in keeping with its pulp antecedents than the others in the series. My least favorite is Indiana Jones & The Holy Grail, which I thought was too silly and too willing to go for cheap laughs. Naturally, Temple of Doom is the least popular, to the point Spielberg and Lucas say they regret making it. And Holy Grail is the most beloved. Go figure.

You should bear this in mind when I say I wasn’t overly impressed with this outing. It’s an okay piece of entertainment, but it mostly recycles action sequences from the first three movies. And I’m sorry, Harrison Ford at 65 is too old to be playing the character. (To be honest, they at least reference his age a couple of times during the movie. One of my chief complaints about Ford as he ages is his refusal to allow his movies to acknowledge this.)

There’s no point recapping the plot, as it’s kind of superfluous anyway. I will say Shia LaBoef does just fine in the role given him, and the talents of Cate Blanchette and Ray Winstone are mostly wasted. As is this semi-negative review, as you have either already seen it, or are going to.

My wife, who is much smarter than I, loved it, by the way.

No comments: