Friday, June 12, 2009

Hypericon V Is History

Trying to get back into the swing of the posting thing.

Hypericon 5 was a blast. Although attendance seemed to be down a bit, the horror side of the con seemed well represented. Hypericon is technically a science fiction con, but horror has seemed to dominate, judging from visual surveys. (Science fiction fans tend to dress up in costume or carry props, while horror fans wear black t-shirts and sullen expressions.) Only one pirate this year, and he didn’t seem that much into it.

It was a treat to hang out with some of my favorite authors, some for the first time. People like Steve Shrewsbury, Ron Kelly, Brian Keene, Scott Nicholson, Wrath James White, Bryan Smith (and his lovely wife Rachel), Maurice Broaddus, John Hornor Jacobs and others whose names I have inadvertently omitted. It was fun and uneventful, with only one author telling me to go fuck myself, and I am 65% sure he was kidding. (ask one question about how the civil war novel is going and see what you get…)

There were also a number of people I know through the message boards. It was great to talk face to face with Todd Clark, Hunter Goatley, and Mark Hickerson, and to meet Mark Sylva in the flesh for the first time. Again, if I left out your name it is because of my sorry memory, not on purpose.

Hypericon is an amazing event, and is one of the most affordable of the cons. I urge everyone interested to make plans to attend Hypericon 2010.

2 comments:

PSGifford said...

HyperiCon is the highlight of the year for me.

KentAllard said...

Paul, I enjoyed your participation in the panels, sorry I didn't get a chance to speak to you directly. Next year, I hope.